Yesterday proved to be a very rough day and hoping it was her worst. Waking up to all she was in for emotionally and physically. Today seems much better. She took her IV out in one fit and wanted the splint off the next. She seems to understand her foot is gone. She had a moment last night when she moved her toes on her left foot and then tried to move the other toes and then sat upright and wiggled her left foot and then looked at her right foot and said "Uh Oh!" It was precious and heartbreaking at the same time. We told her to tell her little foot goodbye again and she did while waving. Again precious but heartbreaking. There are lots of little ones her and bigger kids in therapy. Lots of tears and anxious moms and dads. We love the family atmosphere and each and every team member involved with her care. The Shriners are wonderful. We are blessed. Grant is pulling Naomi in a wagon right now....the only thing making her happy. She does not want to be in the room. Can't blame her.
Thank you everyone for the prayers. What would we do without our caring families. I am going to try to post a picture of our precious in her wagon.
Wednesday, April 29, 2009
Here we are at Shriner's Hosp. Checked in yesterday and spent the day meeting with the nurses and caregivers for Naomi. Today we were up at 6 am for her presurgery meds and then up to the surgery at 7 am. She did fine and is resting in the room with Dad holding her. She has had some juice and should be off her IV soon. I will try to post some pics later. We love, love this hospital. Everyone is so pleasant and kind. And this hospital is so clean! Love it. The playroom is packed with great toys and games and Naomi spent a good part of yesterday getting acquainted with the strollers.
Sunday, April 26, 2009
I can't say that I am ready but I know it is time to deal with Naomi's foot. We had an August 11 appt. for her amputation but said we would be open to moving the date up if there was a cancellation. We have been called twice now but everytime on a Fri. to be up in Shreveport on Sunday. Both times we were just not ready but said next time we will be even if it is on a Fri. So they call on Thursday to be up in Shreveport on Tues. A bit more doable considering all the arrangements we have to make for the other girls.
We know it is for the best , but still telling people is hard and hard to explain. Funny thing is that Naomi is trying to deal with her foot in her way. She will go get a flip-flop or princess shoe and put it on her little foot. Not both, just the little foot and walk around like that so that it lifts her foot up an inch or so. It's time!
The plan is to leave tomorrow and check in on Tues. and the operation will be Wed. Hope to be home by Sun. and then go back in 4 weeks to take the cast off and fit for a prothesis . When it's ready we go back and stay for a while to learn to use it.
Thank you for your prayers and good thoughts for her surgery and recovery.