Saturday, February 28, 2009

New Turn of Events

Well, it has been a rough couple of weeks for us. In November of last year at Children's Hosp. in New Orleans we were given some good news about Naomi's leg and foot and thought she would be a good candidate for leg-legnthing ; but inspite of the good things about her condition it seems she is NOT a good candidate for that process to legnthen her leg . We have been to 3 other doctors to seek other opinions and it seems that amputation of the foot is the standard treatment for fibular hemimelia. We took a trip up to Shreveport Shriner's Hosp. to seek their opinion and it seems that legnthening will solve only one problem with her leg. We have been advised that amputation of her foot and fitting with a prothetic foot will give her the best mobiity and will be the least painful treatment. As hard as that news has been for us to accept with every Dr. visit we learn more about her condition and why amputation is recommended. The other route will take at least 4 operations and yet she would still have to wear a brace and still have a limp. We want the best mobility for her, the best functioning limb so she can walk, run, and even dance without limitations. Prothetics have come so far and if we do it while she is so young she will grow up not knowing anything else. Of course we did know this was a possiblity when we first accepted her referral but were hoping for another outcome.

We surely do need prayer for our family as we have been preparing our other girls for this. They do know about the plan now and even last night they both cried as we told them what we felt would be good for Naomi. It was so sad. We are set up for early August but if there is a cancellation we will take an earlier appt.


G. Silva said...


That's difficult news, but if it's the best thing for her, I'm sure you'll get through it and Naomi will thrive in her own way. Hang in there.

The Gang's Momma said...

I'm so sorry for the hard season you are walking thru as a family. We will certainly pray for you all as you adjust to the plans the doctors are recommending and proceed. May Jesus hold you all close as you process and work thru your grief and your sorrow and give you hope at the road set ahead! Hugs from afar!

shelley said...

prayers for you from Texas

Anonymous said...

Hi Cindi!
My name is Amy Dinello--a fellow Xingfu mommy--that adopted Hope last year from Wuxi. We are now waiting for our LOA for a 14 month old boy from Chongqing. When our Dr.'s reviewed his file--they said that he, too, most likely will face amputation of his foot--from the ankle down. We do not know for sure--but will as soon as he gets home--hopefully sometime in May. I would love to talk to you about it--it sure is tough news to handle--but in the long run--we all must do what will be the highest quality of life for our little ones.
My e-mail is:

Would love to connect--maybe we could support each other!!:-)

Amy Dinello

Mommy said...

I know that is difficult news to digest. Many prayers to you and your family during this time.

Misty (HAS client)

Wuxi Mommy said...

I'm so sorry that you've recieved this news. We're praying for you and your precious little one. I can't imagine how hard this decision is as a parent.

Lorraine said...

I was where you are 8 years ago. Agonizing over the decision. Fast forward. My daughter had the amputation. She now has two prosthetic legs (she had issues with both legs) She is a beautiful 9 year old, she runs, she jumps and she dances in advanced classes! She does Jump rope and anything else she wants. Her current legs sport Hannah Montana, though in the past she has princesses, ballet shoes and horses. You will be amazed at what she does.